Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tally-ho!

Do you remember this post where I shared my vintage mug collection? Well, a few weekends ago I stopped at an estate sale and bought several more. The house and garage were overwhelmingly full of ceramics and china - there was so much to look at and search through! Here is what I happily walked away with:

A lovely tea cup with detail of the Tally-ho coach that traveled regularly between London and Birmingham once upon a time.

A pair of matching mugs with pack horse and mail coach scenes.

Inner-rim detail of the mugs
(Click photos for an enlarged view)

As you might have guessed, I am more than pleased with the acquisition of these vintage kitchen wares. I could have easily purchased more (there were enough floral tea cups to sink a ship, or darn near close), but behaved myself for the sake of a) my wallet and b) storage space. In the end, I'm glad I only chose this trio with their charming depictions of communication and transportation in 18th/19th century England. I'd say they're quite good for evoking one's imagination while enjoying a cuppa* or coffee.

*I feel it necessary to state that I try to work "cuppa" into my vocabulary as often as possible. "Cuppa" just sounds more endearing, if you will, than "cup of tea." It must be my English heritage trying to break the surface. Hehe.

8 comments:

Diana said...

My mom always looks at the bottom of the tea sets and whenever London comes up, she squeals.

I love the title of your blog post!

Lexie said...

i LOVE when mugs have decoration on the inside. it's such a nice detail! these are wonderful! :D

Narumi said...

You always find the cutiest things ! I love this blue color and the nice details, I think I prefer the tea cup it's more delicate but the mugs are gorgeous too :)

chelsea said...

These are enchanting. Great finds!

Ariella said...

That is a very pretty, little tea set! I love vintage kitchen wear and I've been lucky to inherit a lovely floral tea set that I try to use as often as possible. The only thing is that I rarely drink my tea from it as the cups are so tiny - I need a lot of tea whenever I have it.

Erin Cathleen said...

Love these charming mugs! And your new pumpkin photo. :) I've got some too, from a local farmstand. So excited for fall! Let me know when you wanna make an autumnal visit. :D

muchlove said...

oh, these are so wonderful!

I agree, I love the sound of "cuppa" too - it's MUCH more charming.

And I didn't know you have an English background!

tis serendipity said...

haha 'cuppa' sounds so cute. I LOVE so many of the old English words that are just sooo interesting! :) Like uhh... bloke. or rapscallion. Ok why do I only know these insulting terms haaha.

anyway, omgggg PLEASE DO COME TO SINGAPORE ONE DAY!! XDDD you know who to notify IMMEDIATELY if you are going to come right? :)) Haha i'm going to keep posting food photos to keep you enticed hehehe.

and heyy thanks so much, emily, for your sweet comment... yeah i guess we tend to forget that at the end of the day, it's what's inside that really matters and not so much what achievements we have right? we probably would want people to remember us by how kind we were and not the fact that we won a competition in XX year or whatever...