Saturday, October 3, 2009

'I' is for instant

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a Polaroid camera at a yard sale. Immediately overjoyed, I handed over my dollars without hesitation. I'd had it in the back of my mind for quite sometime (read years) to actively seek one out at a yard sale, a thrift store, or on eBay, but I have a terrible tendency to put things off. Needless to say, I couldn't resist this piece of yellow plastic photo-taking finery when it was staring me in the face.

Much to my surprise, a few photos were still waiting to be taken. The film inside was a bit expired, but I like the character it added to my snapshots. For me, at least, it gives them an extra artistic aura for the eyes to gaze at and admire -- as if helping to tell a story.



17 comments:

muchlove said...

hooray for polaroids!! and that is SO cool that there were still some film left - I love the dreamy vintage effect of them.

Lexie said...

STILL film left??? you lucky girl!

Diana said...

Amazing find! The battery pack is part of the film so sometimes it dies after a few years but this is such a cool find! I hope you find cheap film for it!

chelsea said...

Those pictures are beautiful. I love when pictures have 'flaws'.

Unknown said...

OooooOooooOOO this is what i dream of finding when I'm rattling around countless op shops. Your roids are beautiful. First two especially.

Amelia said...

Yay for polaroid! I think the expired film looks nice, especially in the sky picture. What a find!

Rohini said...

I love Polaroids! Too bad I broke my Polaroid camera.
Love the pictures. :)

Xx

Erin Cathleen said...

Love those groovy photos. :) Polaroids aren't completely extinct! Found out you can get the cameras and film at Urban Outfitters now -- for a price. :P

Jen said...

Yay, I've always always wanted one - its such a pity the cartridges are so expensive!

Narumi said...

How lucky you are to find a polaroid with film in it ! I really like the effect on the pictures, the sky photo is beautiful. I have to buy some films for my polaroid but it's so expensive now :(

Ariella said...

Wow, lucky you! That's fantastic! And how cool that there was still film in the camera. I love how the photos turned out :)

Gabbi said...

Great find and lovely photos Emily! I love the daisies photo especially... it looks straight out of the 70's doesn't it? Beautiful!!

yiqin; said...

Aww I love polaroids :)

elena-lu said...

no way!! i have one that was my hubby's but i dont have film! boo! must go and find some asap! thanks for the inspiration!

Raquel said...

aw! I want a polaroid too! I was going to buy one at ebay but then quited :S

Imogen said...

I would love to have a camera like that.

tis serendipity said...

How cool!! :DD I'd love to be able to get a polaroid camera one day... haha what a great find!!

And aww thanks so much for sending me a mixed tape!! XD I can't wait for that! How about I send over a mixed tape (cd) in return too? So sorry I haven't had time to mail it to you yet but this weekend after my exam's over I'll have loads of time to plough through my music collection and burn a cd for you! heh might throw in a couple of popular Chinese (Taiwanese) pop songs too...