Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wallet-friendly Wednesday

Today's wallet-friendly finds are a $2 dress and $2 cardigan. I feel a bit like Laura Ingalls in this dress, hence the pigtails. I would have opted for braids, but securing hair ties at the ends of my super fine pin-straight hair can sometimes be a difficult feat to achieve. Anyway, I love everything about this dress from the color to the fabric weight (a little on the thick side, but not heavy). It's 100% Emily approved. Other than my own spin on a Little House on the Prairie look, I could probably pass as a frumpy cat lady with the addition of the over sized cardigan. Don't worry, I'm not picking on myself. I'm perfectly fine with this or else I wouldn't have worn it ;)


Dress and cardigan: Salvation Army,
Belt: gift from Erin, Minnetonka moccasins

The sweater originally had gold colored crest-like buttons which I switched out for something a little more suited to my tastes. Other than being very warm and snug, this cardigan has another great thing going for it: pockets. If something has pockets chances are I'll like it.



P.S. Yes, we received our first round of stick-to-the-ground-and-all-other-cold-surfaces snow. Appropriately, it fell on December 1st which has come to my understanding as being the unofficial start to winter in the minds of some. Not for me though. It's still fall until the calendar tells me otherwise.

13 comments:

Blair said...

Looks comfy!! :)

Devon said...

Cute outfit x

Lexie said...

would you consider hemming it? i'm so jealous it's a long sleeved dress ... i have been searching for one in the thrift stores for months!

Raquel said...

i need snuggle sewaters like your cardigan! you look so warmy! and your dress is so adorable!
oh and envying you, for the snow ;)
xx

yiqin; said...

Very pretty! The color really suits you :)

lynnette said...

emily!!! :DD i received your package late last week but sorry didn't get a chance to say thanks till now!! thank you so much for the gum and chocs!! i've been rationing out the orbit gum haha to no more than 2 a day!! they definitely help during my lectures... X)))

it's so nice that there's some snowfall at your area! when to you, does winter start?? :P when there's more snow or when the weather gets to a certain degree of coldness?

that cardigan is really lovely!! it looks so comfy and reminds me of sth you'd get off urban outfitters! haha yeahh i've still be surfing that site far too much...

yeah i agree with lexie that hemming it up might have a nice effect too! :D you've got nice legs and it would look pretty refreshing as a knee length dress and you could let your tights be seen more clearly too... such nice finds nonetheless!

chelsea said...

I LOVE it. I love the neckline and the pleets and the color. You could always shorten it for a less "cat lady look" but it does looks super cute, comfy, casual as is. I also adore the mocs.
Oh, and I've never read a single Little House book. Is that bad?

emma wallace said...

I have a "cat lady" dress too! I love it! I wear it always with my boots and I even braid my hair up to go along.

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Diana said...

I love it, and yes, it's 100% Emily approved indeed! It looks so great! I love the pigtails as an extra touch.

Imogen said...

I love your dress, the colour is beautiful. You amaze me more each week with your finds!

Amelia said...

I love the detail on that dress! What a great find.

muchlove said...

I love the colour of that dress! Another great find, Emily :)

Erin Cathleen said...

You look so sweet and cozy. The sweater is more Grandpa-cardigan, less cat lady. >^.^< Adorable! We had snow for two seconds here, and none of it stuck... sure is cold enough for it, though. It's still fall in my book... I'm drinking pumpkin spice coffee till Christmas!