Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wallet-friendly Wednesday

For this installment of Wallet-friendly Wednesday allow me to introduce to you a 99 cent tweed skirt:

My wallet took a small risk with this purchase. A stain roughly the size of a quarter was quite noticeable on the skirt's front. I've been known to pass up stained garments while thrift shopping if I can't justify it price-wise. Depending on what the item is, I have a varying range of what I'd be willing to pay in attempts to clean it. At 99 cents (wee!), I decided it was a gamble worth taking and it was. All the stain needed was a little pre-soak treatment :) So, this leads me to ask all of you: do you purchase stained items while thrifting and keep your fingers crossed they'll come clean or do you leave them on the racks?

Here I am trying to remain calm and collected despite the wind and blowing snow... then I just couldn't take it any more and burst out laughing. Running back into the house promptly followed!

Cardigan: gift (TJ Maxx), Shirt and necklace: H&M, Skirt: Salvation Army, Tights: gift (Ann Taylor Loft), Shoes: old Payless

I found these mary janes tucked away under my bed. I've had them since high school (roughly 2002-2003, I think). Whenever I wore them with white tights or trouser socks my friends always called them my Alice in Wonderland shoes.

8 comments:

chelsea said...

It is super lovely, what a great gamble. I usually don't go for stained items unless I am really really in love with them. If I do purchase a stained piece of clothing I usually didn't notice until I got home. I can't wait to see how you pair this skirt in the future. It is so versatile.
And those shoes are great too. Can't go wrong with a mary jane. I used to have boots that my mum referred to as my Sabrina the Teenage Witch boots. They were kind of witchy, even with their square 1990's toe.

muchlove said...

Oooh, 99 cents for a tweed skirt! Despite the stain, I would've grabbed it too. Like you said, at 99 cents (and seeing that it's a perfect fit on you!) - it would be hard not to purchase it. I've thrifted stained clothing before - but it does depend on how visible the stain is, as well as the price. I once bought a stained shirt for $3, and the stain came off after one wash - I was so happy, and it became one of my favourite clothing items of that year.

Imogen said...

Again I am amazed by the wonderful bargain that you have found. I would definately have bought it too. Its very good how you found those shoes. I think they are really cute. Its almost like having a new pair of shoes.

Raquel said...

oh darling, 99cents for that lovely skirt I would give, with or without stain. of course if it was a more expensive skirt I wouldn't take the risk I think. I love to find lost items and those shoes are lovely!
and I can see you're still enjoying the snow!
x

Kiki said...

Ahhhh...that tweed skirt is just lovely! :) and the stain is barely noticeable so it's okay I guess. Yay! x

Erin Cathleen said...

I'm too chicken to risk a penny on stained clothes, unless I'm allowed to return it if the stain doesn't wash out. Lucky that your skirt turned out so perfect! You're so sweet in tweed. :)

Amelia said...

Ooh, I love the texture of the skirt up close. This is cute! :)

Noelle Chantal said...

beautiful outfit again! you look really chic. and about your question, yes i do purchase stained pieces. luckily i was able to remove those stains hehe! :)

the second photo of you laughing with the blowing snow wind is really cute!