Thursday, September 2, 2010

Love Letter

Dear Future Husband (wherever you may be),

Do you play the banjo? I secretly hope so. If not, that's okay. Perhaps it's something we could learn together. Still, if that's not something you're keen on, just know that a fair portion of the music I listen to resonates with the sound of the fine little instrument.

Yours affectionately,
Emily



Ooh, listen to that banjo! All silliness aside, the above video is one of my favorites from Great Lake Swimmers (who happen to be my favorite band) recent album/video project titled The Legion Sessions. Compiled of live versions of nearly all the songs off their 2009 release Lost Channels, The Legion Sessions has been my go-to disc of choice this summer. Perhaps I love it so because it's the closest I've come to hearing Great Lake Swimmers perform live. The band is based out of Ontario and tour North America frequently, so you'd think I would have made the 7 hour drive to Toronto or the 4 hour drive to Montreal already, right? Wrong. Guess who hasn't renewed her passport or upgraded her drivers license for easy access across the border? The same silly girl who hasn't even made the easy trips to NYC, Boston, or Philadelphia to see them either. Haha, one of these days...

12 comments:

milk said...

THE GREATEST BAND EVER!

Lexie said...

i love a well placed banjo! and harmonica too ... mmm. ..

Diana said...

i LOVE great lake swimmers!!! their songs are so beautifulllll i hope you get to see them sometime - i wish i could too!

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

lynnette said...

ahhahhaa writing a letter to future husband is something i've done many times in my head too!! XD

Well you definitely should go to all those places!! :D I would totally travel to as many neighbouring states if i lived in the U.S.... Maybe every time you have a long weekend holiday you could plan to visit just one of those places on your list!

what are the other things you hope your future husband will be able to do huh? :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Apparently I'm really out of the indie-band loop! I've heard of those guys but have never actually heard them before! So thank you for introducing me! Maybe one day if I'm in Canada I'll make it out to hear them play somewhere...

A French Canadian band you might like is Les Cowboys Fringants. I discovered them earlier this year (actually when they were warming up for the Olympics in a park, my friend and I walked by). They're a bit rock-folk-very Quebecois. If you're interested, check out "Plus Rien," and "Joyeux Calvaire" on Youtube. My French is disastrous, but I just sing along with the fiddle solo!

I like your letter to you future husband. For some reason, and I have no idea why, it reminded me of Persuasion.

Imogen said...

What a sweet letter and I enjoyed the video. The banjo is a fabulous instrument and I love that song and the band.

emma wallace said...

How cute are you?! i love the sound of the banjo too!


iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Fickle Cattle said...

I love the banjo. I don't know why it gets such a bad rep sometimes.

ficklecattle.blogspot.com

Imogen said...

Emily, thank you so much for the comment and advice you left on my blog a couple of posts back. I really appreciate your perspective on my situation and you are such an amazing friend. A big hug back to you too. I have done a lot of talking this weekend about my issues and with some of the people close to me. I feel good that I have raised some issues and that I have tried my best to fix some things with people. There is some comfort in knowing that I have made some positive attempts. I hope that everything is going well for you.

Diary of a Young Designer said...

Lolz, loving this post. I secretly wish my future husband plays the piano. =)

xo
Sophie

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

this is so lovely
xx

muchlove said...

I would like my future husband to play the banjo too. That would be much fun!