Thursday, December 23, 2010

O Tannenbaum

This will most likely be my last post until after Christmas. Since I'm pretty excited for that day to arrive I thought I'd share one of my very favorite things about Christmastime: Christmas trees! I suppose like a bird I'm attracted to glint-y, shiny things. Haha.

There are many things I love about Christmas. The most important being the true reason behind the celebration, but for today I'll stick to ornaments and tree boughs.

My siblings were pretty busy this year, so mostly all of the tree decorating was left to me. No problem there! At home we have this funny looking tree that our Dad chopped down. My sister will laugh as she reads this and attest that he always finds ''the little tree that could.'' They're not always picture perfect, but you can't help but love them! Hehe. I couldn't get a decent picture of it or the charming little rustic ornaments we have (a birch wood moose, a tiny canoe, metal fish and mini antlers), but trust me when I say it looks good!

What is it that makes Christmas trees so magical? All the excitement, anticipation and merriment we associate with them, of course! I love sitting back and admiring them after they go up and get adorned. The soft glow of the lights and tiny shimmers from reflective ornaments still make me as giddy as when I was a child. I love the sight of a Christmas tree at nighttime illuminated through a window almost as much as I love being snug on the couch with the tree twinkling before me!

The photos in this post are of the tree at my grandmother's house. My mother was all excited about tinsel this year, so for the first time in who knows how long we tinsel-ed our little hearts out! My only issue with artificial trees is that they don't have that smile-inducing evergreen smell, but other than that I don't really mind them. They still get the job done, right?


O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree
Your branches green delight us.
They are green when summer days are bright;
They are green when winter snow is white.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us!


O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure dost thou bring me!
For ev’ry year the Christmas tree,
Brings to us all both joy and glee.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure dost thou bring me!


O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Thy candles shine out brightly!
Each bough doth hold its tiny light,
That makes each toy to sparkle bright.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Thy candles shine out brightly!

See that sweet angel atop a bell in the last photo? My grandmother has had that in her possession since her childhood in the 1930s.

Do you have any favorite Christmas tree ornaments? Favorite Christmas stories? Feel free to share!

Merry Christmas!
♥ Luke 2:9-14 ♥

11 comments:

Raquel said...

Oh dear I am pleased that you also have artificial trees there, since there seems to be a stigma about them in the US (from what I get from movies and series..) In Portugal almost anyone uses them, probably because our common pine trees are very different from yours there, but I still remember Christmas at my grandma's with a real one!
My very favourite part of Christmas is decorating! I usually do it at our house and this year was no different! :) I have the habit of putting a bow on the top instead of a star as it is tradition.
Vintage Christmas decorations seems like a wonderful thing! Though all ours are quite recent..

Gave a very Happy Christmas dear!

Law1sfab said...

aww I love your Christmas tree, plastic is way better and more eco friendly plus easy on the knees :)
I love all your decorations so cute, I have a Christmas bauble (I think that is how you spell it) that my grandmother put on the tree my 1st Christmas 26 years later and I still have it. My son who's 1 and a half wrecked the tree this year, so maybe next year we can have it.

AWWW Merry Christmas and have a happy nEw YeAR XXXX

Tabitha said...

Love your tree. My fave xmas story is the year I found out that Santa wasn't real...he left a price tag on my gift. :)

Jan said...

Aw, I miss the smell of a real tree too but I think my favourite bit is coloured Christmas lights - they always make me feel cosy (I sat in our living room last night with the lights off watching ours - sooo nice!). I think my favourite ornaments are the ceramic ones my sister painted in grade 2. She was only 7 but she painted them as if she was a grown up. Amazing. Those and the plastic Santas my parents put on their first Christmas tree as a married couple. I took a couple to put on our tree this year as it's our first Christmas as a married couple too. Thanks so much for sharing pictures of your tree. Lovely!

(oh, and the proposal story is slated in for next week :) )

Anonymous said...

So festive :)
Chocolate ornaments were always my favourite - I'd sneak to the tree on tip toes numerous times throughout the night to lighten the load of ornaments ;)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Oh, I love Christmas trees (though we always have real ones, even one year when we'd just moved we had a real one in a pot).

Our decorations are a mix of ancient balls and little wooden figurines that my grandparents had, to lots of commemorative crap that we try to weed out each year ("baby's first Christmas can go already!") to some wonderful newish Pier 1 ornaments. My favourite old ornament is a little wooden eskimo lady with a baby on her back and my favourite new one is a glittery biplane. We also have our fair share of butterflies and turkeys on the tree.

I loved this post. Thank you and have a very Merry Christmas!

chelsea said...

I wish I was home. My brother and I always had the tradition of laying under the tree and staring up through the branches at all the lights and talking. We are 10 years apart in age, so conversation doesn't come too easily, unless we have lighted tree limbs above us, apparently.
Also, my favorite ornament is the plain clear glass ball that I filled with confetti which I collected while celebrating New Years in Times Square 2005.
Happy and merry to you and yours!

Gabbi said...

Beautiful post and share Emily... I love decorating our tree also, it really marks the beginning of the season for me. I also love that your dad chops your tree down for your family! That sounds amazing. Also amazing is that gorgeous angel ornament of your grandmothers. Thank you so much for sharing!

Erin Cathleen said...

My family's trees have almost always been fake, like since the fifties or sixties, and I hate it! They tease me that fake trees are more "eco," when in reality getting a real tree is better because they can be recycled and break down, while artificial plastic? Well, it never breaks down, only leaches harmful chemicals back into our soil. Yucky. Anyway, much as a I despise our yuletide fakery, I am allergic to pine! So sadly, I have to go without the "real deal." But ooh, how I love your ornaments! My family's are kind of similar. We try to stick to a homemade, Victorian kind of theme. :)

Hope your Christmas was very merry! <3

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

happy belated christmas, dear! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

you have such a true spirit of christmas. its beautiful. you make me want to get a freshly chopped tree next year rather than my artifical tree decked out in apples and what not. merry belated christmas!