Over the weekend a good friend and I stayed in for an Anne of Green Gables movie marathon complete with scrumptious homemade cookies and endless cups of tea.
After watching Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, we decided it was still too early to call it quits and put in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. However, my visit to Middle Earth had to be cut short after an hour as I was seeing more of the backs of my eyelids than the movie. Perhaps our movie selections made for an odd pairing, but we certainly had fun with it.

And what about those cookies, you ask? My friend whipped together a delightful batch of Earl Grey shortbread (recipe found here) and I made carrot honey cookies. I found the recipe on the Prince Edward Island tourism website a few years ago (nerd alert!) and they have become a definite favorite since then.
Carrot Honey Cookies
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup honey
1 egg slightly beaten with 1/4 cup shortening (or butter)
1 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1/2 cup grated raw carrot
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat over to 375F
In a medium sized bowl, stir baking soda into honey and add to the creamed shortening (or butter) and egg. Beat until creamy. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the honey mixture. Combine oatmeal, nuts and grated carrot and stir into the mixture until well blended. Add vanilla last and mix well. Drop the cookie dough by teaspoonfuls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, flattening with the end of a fork. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Recipe adapted from here
11 comments:
i LOVE the anne of green gables movies! i need to watch those again.
these cookies look delicious! what a treat on a cold snowy weekend!
What a delightful combination, and those shortbread look perfect too!
I saw Anne of Green Gables again last year, for the first time in a long time, and it was as great as I remembered it...
Okay, let me get this straight - your idea of fun is baked goods and whimsical movies? Were we separated at birth???
the cookies look carrot-y delicious. I'm sure I'll like these since i love carrot muffins :)
Yummy!
www.baublesandbangles.blogspot.com
-Stephanie
Love! I grew up on Lucy Maud Montgomery :) Have you seen any of the Road to Avonlea tv series?
I love cookies and these look very tasty. Wow I haven't watched Anne of Green Gables for many years. My boyfriend loves Lord of the Rings. I wouldn't mind a movie marathon right now, I'm in the mood for one soon.
yeah
thanks for sharing
I'll try to cook the same
frameless glass doors
These cookies look amaaaazing. And sorta healthy, even! I am totally going to try these! <3
Sounds like you had a perfect day. ^_^ Snow day for you tomorrow?
Those look delicious!I was looking through your posts - you have impeccable taste, darling.
c:
melanielikes.blogspot.com
Follow?
Could you send some over? :) They look so tasty!
Post a Comment