Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Magic cape

Capes have been pretty big in blogland for a while now. I thought about actively pursuing one, but that idea eventually fizzled out. I didn't really need one as I have a couple of good capelets (one casual, one dressy) hanging up in my closet. So, I told myself I'd only let myself acquire one if it magically appeared in my presence (without the aide of Etsy or eBay). Magical things can happen in thrift stores, you know. And happen they did! One such thrifting trip from this past autumn resulted in the purchase of not one, but two vintage capes. I was a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of adding both to my wardrobe, so I resolved to gift one to my sister at Christmas. I wrapped up the one I thought she would like best and was excited over it for weeks. She kindly allowed me to share a picture of the one I gave her.

Her's is the most beautiful array of browns and orange while mine is its counterpart in browns and cream. The heft of the knit is perfectly cozy. Once it's on I detest the idea of taking it off, but I just remind myself that the weather will be cold for awhile longer yet.

'70s cape

I essentially have the same outfit going on under the cape as in this post. It's a pretty good basic outfit as far as I'm concerned, so I just go with it. Also, I think it's easier to see in these photos (as opposed to these) that this corduroy skirt is the nicest shade of navy blue. I've been big on navy blue for the past year and have been steadily injecting it into my wardrobe. A few basic shirts and a dress-tunic-blouse thing have also crept in. But, enough about that. Tuesday was a good day for walking around in the snow in a cape, so that's just what I did.

'70s cape

'70s cape

'70s cape

'70s cape
Vintage 1970s cape: thrifted, Shirt: Target, Skirt: J.Crew
Tights: Hue, Moccasins: Minnetonka

Tell me, have you had any recent magical secondhand finds?

16 comments:

Tabitha said...

I have to say that my favorite secondhand find happens to also be a cape. However, due to weather conditions it's virtually impossible to wear in the winter without freezing. :(

I love the capes. So cute!

Lexie said...

this is my favorite outfit post of yours to date! your cape is FABULOUS!

chelsea said...

That is an amazing cape! If ever you do not want it, feel free to send it my way.
I too have a basic of black tights with my black skirt to go with everything. It makes for a nice base.
As for second hand finds? Ha. We found Dominic some good shirts the other day, but I have not been in the market for a thing, recently. I can't seem to make myself want anything bad enough to buy it.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Both the capes are just lovely, and what great finds. I too considered ebaying one, but decided that a) they were going for ridiculous prices and b) they weren't really very practical in the climate. But both yours and your sisters are great.

P.S. I have actually acquired a little something I think you'd like. I'd love it if you emailled me your address....

Franca said...

It's gorgeous! I thrfited a cape about two years ago, but weirdly I almost never wear it. it's a thick material, but it's quite short and it doesn't have armholes like that, but a weird belting system, so it's not actually that warm. It looks nice though!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous capes (and that duck top is so sweet(and my verification code for this comment was deDUCK.. )!

Great finds :)

Diana said...

Both capes looks so luxurious! So much more chicer than a bulky coat. I love it on you, Emily! (and your friend!)

Raquel said...

How sweet of you to give one cape to your sister! :) I really like both.
And this is such a nice way to wear yours! And capes in the snow look so right.

As for second hand buys I am getting, if it happens that they magically appear in my presence, one denim or chambray long sleeved shirt, a plaid/lumberjack shirt and some knits and pretty dresses! :) Of course I expect to find these in London (or I hope so!).

Raquel said...

PS: Thanks so much for your sweet comment, you put a smile on my face, thank you really!

A.n.E said...

Love your cape find!! To be honest my vintage finds are often out of season, like, I'll find something really wonderful and summery in the middle of winter and awesome coats and furs when we're starting to move into spring. never really understood that. So its often a process of rediscovery!

Jan said...

That cape is so sweet and looks uber cosy! I have an ermine capelet I bought to wear with my wedding dress but then the Irish weather surprised me and actually managed to be WARM in July so I didn't need it in the end and haven't worn it. Where do you reckon you can wear a white ermine capelet and not look like you're trying to dress up like a princess??

Gabbi said...

I so need a cape now!!!

Sadie's Wardrobe said...

Awwww, I'm desperately in need of a cape like those! I especially love the first one! I'm going to see if one not-so-naturally finds its way into my wardrobe... ebay time!

xxx

annawithlove said...

so cozy, so wonderful!
thanks for the blog love! x
http://www.annawithlove.com

Unknown said...

This is 70s fantastical goodness. And your sister is so gorgeous. She looks just like you. I've always wanted a sis but have a brother instead.

Erin Cathleen said...

Weeee! These capes are the most funnest things EVER! Yes, I just subjected you to atrocious grammar. That's how excited I got. Anyway. You and Erin look adorbs! Now this Erin needs to find a cape too! ^_^ Could we count a poncho? :P