Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mum's the word


This outfit came together in my mind, last week or so, while we were stuck in a stretch of cold, rainy days. We've been precipitation-free for a few days now, but the thing is I really wanted to wear these wedges one last time sans tights. That meant waiting and hoping that even though it's October the temperatures would comply with my sartorial whims. And comply they did. I took full advantage of today's climbing temperatures and disregarded stockings of any kind.


This dress used to be my mother's and was among a few items (mostly maxi skirts; exhibit a and exhibit b) that she handed down to me a few years back. Oddly enough, I have no recollection of her wearing these and only remember seeing them in her closet. For whatever reason, when I think back to my childhood she is forever wearing a khaki maxi skirt with either a fuchsia t-shirt or a dark green silk button-down. The brain is a strange, strange thing.

Cardigan: Land's End Canvas, Dress: hand-me-down, Belt: thrifted
Locket: childhood gift, T-strap wedges: Target

5 comments:

Heather, 29 Skirts said...

Hand-me-downs are so cool! I like the print on the dress...it reminds me of a couple of longer dresses that I had in the '90s. When I think of my mom in the past (without referencing photos), I remember her wearing leggings and oversized tunics.

Raquel said...

The mind really plays us isn't it. For example, regarding childhood memories, I can only remember my father beeing much slimmer than he really is now, and I am sure he wasn't like that through all my childhood times haha.
That is a very pretty piece to have from your mom! And i love the simple way you paired it with the cardigan and sandals, very 90's minimal.

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Lovely dress and cardigan, Emily. And I know what you mean... I don't know that my mother is even wearing anything recognizable in childhood memories...

Hurray for final days of no-tights/socks. I quite like tights, but always regret their coming as I know I will be stuck with them for so long...

Franca said...

Aren't hand me downs the best?

I have a distinct memory of the house we lived in until I was three being pink. Really, it's just a boring grey semi-detatched. The bedroom was pink, so that's probably where it came from.

laura said...

Beeyooteeefull! I really love this photos, Emily. That first one looks like it came right out of a catalog. I wish my mom and I shared the same style (or size!) so I could raid her closet! That dress is just really pretty!

Happy Monday!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights