Sunday, December 26, 2010

Red Velvet Sunset

I hope you all enjoyed a very merry and delightful Christmas. My warmest and happiest sentiments are extended to you! How did you celebrate?

Before dinner on Friday I attended a candlelight Christmas Eve service with one of my dearest friends and her husband. I hadn't seen them in a while, so it was a real treat on top of it being Christmas! Toward the end of the service we both ended up spilling wax on ourselves. Oops! We were probably worse than half the children there! She let out a little yelp and then I had a hard time keeping my composure while we sang ''Silent Night" (which is a shame because it's one of my favorite carols to sing).

Christmas day was spent in the company of family. My sister and I exchanged gifts with our mother and grandmother in the morning, complete with leftover quiche for breakfast. Mm mmm. Then we trekked over to our dad's to have Christmas dinner with him and one of our (many) uncles. Our brother joined us in the evening after work which solidified it as a very lovely day.



This was my outfit for the day's festivities. I was excited to wear the dress since the day I bought it, but it needed some serious attention first. It was frightfully long and a friend of mine kindly hemmed it for free. I was all ready to pay her for her efforts, but she resisted and we enjoyed a nice visit while she pinned, snipped, and sewed.



Big Christmas grin!


With the few remaining minutes of daylight, my sister and I ran outside to take these photos. The warmth of the wood stove was greatly missed, but we endured. We both think the above photo funny, so that's worth the time spent out in the cold, right?






The lace collar and the buttoned sleeves are my favorite bits about this dress! I'm trying to scheme up other ways to wear it this winter that are less Christmas-y. I can't banish it to the closet just yet... Speaking of banishing things to the closet, here are my favorite heels that only see the outside world once or twice a year. I need to work on that, too.

Laura Ashley dress: thrifted, Tights: Target, Shoes: Nina, Ring: Papyrus

16 comments:

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Your Christmas outfit also made me squeal with delight, Emily! I looked at so many red velvet dresses in my hunt, and this one is so lovely (not having any sewing skilled friends or relatives nearby, I had to look only for short ones). It's absolutely lovely with the collar and the sleeves (I love love love Laura Ashley).

Those heels are awesome too; you should definitely work on getting them out more.

Your Christmas sounds lovely; it's all about family on the day I think.

chelsea said...

What a lovely Christmas you had! I like the dress, it makes me think of Little Women (which I definitely need to read again this year.) I would like to go to a candle light service at some point, I think. In a small, warm, old church with snow falling outside. Magical.

Franca said...

oh my goodness, how adorable are you in that sweet dress!

muchlove said...

great to know that you had a very lovely Christmas!
That dress is absolute perfection for the festive season. I love the collar detail.

TrophyBoutique said...

So cute! That dress was meant to be worn on a snowy holiday. You really should work on wearing those heels, because they are amazing.
xo
Laurel

Imogen said...

Merry Christmas and happy holidays Emily. I hope you had a fabulous time. I love your dress so much. The excitment I felt when I saw your post and how beautiful you look! This is probably the most perfect dress I have ever seen. The colour, collar and material all look amazing. You couldn't have found anything better to wear for Christmas day. You shoes are stunning too.

Raquel said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas full of loved ones and that is the most important thing :)
And you couldn't have been prettier, that dress is so lovely! I am on the hunt for a velvet dress and I am looking for black ones, but this beauty makes me want one red too! The lace collar is adorable.
Plus, you had a white Christmas! What can be better? I wish I had one too, though it never snows here...

Jan said...

I have a very vivid memory of attending midnight mass during high school and burning myself on the candlewax. The next year my best mate mocked me for donning my fluorescent yellow ski mittens during the candlelit Silent Night so I wouldn't get burned. Come to think of it, she still mocks me about that to this day. Your Christmas celebrations sound lovely and that dress is darling on you :)

Anonymous said...

You look just beautiful and so festive :) Love the collar and the length is just perfect (how sweet of your friend!)

I'd love to see more of these heels, they are to die for!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas :) You look so cute in this dress :D I adore your "vintage" style :)
See you!
xx.

Raquel said...

Your comment made my day! Thank you, Emily :)

caitlin said...

this christmas dress is amaaaazing!!! hemming is super easy if someone shows you how to do it, and having that one little skill makes even the frumpiest of grandma dresses shine with potential!

anyway, amazing. you're too cute--thanks for hanging around my little old blog! :)

milk said...

beautiful dress!

Unknown said...

fun ring:)
dress color looks so richly

plastic ink containers

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

that dress is so utterly charming! you look like a christmassy alice in wonderland! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

yep a red velvet dress with a peter pan colllar. charminngly stunning. love. & your shoes are beautiful works of art for your tootsies. merry belated christmas!