Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Film photos from Assateague, Maryland

Here is the last handful of photos from my September vacation. I'll be splitting this group into two posts. The content is similar, but there's a lot of it.

During our stay in Ocean City, my friends and I took two separate day trips to Assateague Island. One day was spent on the Maryland side, the other on the Virginia side. Assateague Island is well known (famous, really) for its wild ponies. Unfortunately, we didn't see much of the horses during our visit. I caught a quick glimpse of one from the car in Assateague. Then, while we were in Chincoteague (the Virginia side of the island), we did see several grazing in a pasture. Living in the country I see horses almost everyday, so what makes the horses on Assateague/Chincoteague so special? The unparalleled beauty of the island! You're surrounded by it all here: a coastal bay, beaches, salt marshes, and maritime forests. It's stunning. Moreover, the island is a wildlife refuge. The horses and other wildlife are a beautiful bonus to what nature has already provided.

Here are some glimpses in and around Assateague!

Assateague, Maryland

Assateague, Maryland

Assateague, Maryland

Assateague, Maryland

Assateague, Maryland

Camera: Nikon FM 10
Film: Fujicolor Superia X-tra 400

Remember when I said I went a bit camera crazy on this trip? Well, here are a few digital pictures to round out the trip to Assateague!

Assateague, Maryland

Assateague, Maryland

Assateague, Maryland

6 comments:

Diana said...

The water sparkling photo is amazing! Worthy of putting it on a wall. I love it (and enjoying the other ones, of course!)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

There really is something different between the film and digital photos. We took a few (only a few, we're disastrous) film photos in Barcelona, but are still waiting to finish the roll to see how they came out. These are just lovely. Assateague looks so quiet...

Erin Cathleen said...

Ooh! That sparkly water photo really has my attention! *_* Shiny!

chelsea said...

Eek! I love the sparkly water shot!

Raquel said...

The pictures from the sea are making me miss Madeira! Well in one month or so I'll be back there before I go to England!

lynnette said...

such beautiful photos! :) i can't believe the one you captured of the water developed with the sparkles! incredible...

So what did you guys do when you were in Assateague Island? Is it just a place to walk around and view the scenery (and horses)? Or are there particular tourist attractions that you checked out? :) It's the first I've heard of this place!