Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A seashell, snow and other random musings


My idea of a go-to ensemble for comfort and ease has been nearly the same for ten years. Cardigan? Check. Plaid shirt? Check. Jeans? Check. Moccasins? Check. Add them all up and you have a quintessential Emily uniform. At 15, I would have loved raiding my current closet. Instead, I happily made do with my sister's. Oh hey, sis. Remember that? ♥





Being outdoors in the falling snow without the proper gear prompts worried expressions! And daydreams of warm beverages.



My beloved Minnetonka moccasins are by far the best shoe purchase I've ever made. I bought them in the fall of 2004 and they've seen all sorts of weather and terrain since then. Perhaps they're not the best choice of footwear for wintertime, but after six years I haven't been deterred. With that said, my camera ended up capturing a little slip and slide action. Hehe. It could have been disastrous, but I remained vertical. We know how to navigate the slick snow.

Cardigan: Old Navy, Shirt: TJ Maxx, Jeans: Levi's ''Boyfriend Jean,''
Socks: J.Crew, Moccasins: Minnetonka, Ring: shop in Berlin, Maryland

The seashell ring in these photos is a little souvenir I brought back from my end of summer trip to Maryland. I was on the hunt for one of these babies for months and, well, living too far inland wasn't proving successful in the search. When Erin and I popped up to Portland, Maine in July I found some neat rings made out of shell & wood, but they didn't tempt me enough to buy one. Fast forward to September when my friends and I were strolling through Berlin, Maryland and stumbled upon a cute little shop full of handmade and vintage goodies. I was hemming and hawing over a vintage brooch when I zeroed in on a display of seashell rings. Yay! My attention immediately shifted from the brooch and I left the store the happy owner of a seashell ring. And let me tell you, this ring is such a fine piece of craftsmanship. It blows my mind that something so perfect was produced by the sea and then carved into a piece of jewelry. The artist has her own Etsy shop and I've been contemplating another ring...

17 comments:

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Those very moccasins are from 2004? They look great, and they're not even stained or anything! I'm also a big fan of the plaid shirt for comfort dynamic, and of your lovely ring. I went and checked out the Etsy shop, and there are some truly delightful pieces.

Right, time for one more cup of tea before bed...

Tabitha said...

My Minnetonka mocs are probably the best $25 I've spent. They last forever and they go with everything. I just kind of wish I got the ones like yours with the beading detail.

Lexie said...

i love those moccasins! i try to wear shoes with a bit more arch support .. but those are so tempting!

Jan said...

The moccasins remind me of the ones I had in grade two that I still miss to this day. The ring is totally darling!

Unknown said...

I love your moccasins too. They're very Emily. It's funny. You grow up thinking how beautiful everyone looks and envying all the fantastic clothes they have. Then I read this blogpost and I realise YES! I would have been jealous of my wardrobe now too :) I think it takes us a while to realise exactly what clothes and things pleases us the most.

Other shoes which are horrible for snow? White leather converse sneakers. I still shudder thinking of me tramping around Europe in those, skidding along snowy footpaths.

Franca said...

Wow, the mocassins are beautiful, and 6 years? Score!

Anonymous said...

Those moccasins are beauties and I would never have guessed they were the ripe age of six!

Julia said...

your moccasins are too lovely.

laura said...

You look uber comfy! and I absolutely love your Moccasins! Who says you can't wear flats in the winter? Just layer on the legwear, baby. :)

Raquel said...

This look is so very you! I am fond of warm cardigans and comfy shoes for a go to outfit, and sometimes even jeans :) I think you look so effortlessly stylish here! Also the socks are very a nice touch.
I have a seashell ring too, and it was also a souvenir. But I was trying to get one like yours! Anyway my fingers are too big and all I found so far didn't fit me :|

Brittney said...

i can't believe your moccasins are 6+ years old and look as great as they do! that, my friend, is an excellent purchase. i love the "emily" uniform, by the way. you look both comfy and styled.
-brittney
http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com (my daily outfit blog; come check it out if you'd like!)

Erin Cathleen said...

You have been remarkably unchanged in all the years I've known you. You have your quintessentially Emily style, and I love that! And anyway, we still look like we're 11, right? :)

How I am loving the way you sport your seashell ring defiantly in the snow! You show that winter weather who's boss! :P

SOJOURNED IN STYLE said...

moccasins have been on my straying wishlists for months and this post only makes me want them even more!

Meredith said...

i so want mocs. it's almost sandal time over here but i still want some. bad.
http://meredithtuttle.blogspot.com/2011/01/done-so-done.html

emma wallace said...

Oh no! You've reminded me how much I want moccasins (from the last time I saw them on your blog! Ha!)! They look so fun and would work perfectly with my uniform. And the ring is stunning.

Anonymous said...

I chain award tagged you over here: http://shallowmallow.blogspot.com/2011/01/no-returns.html Don't feel obliged though :)

Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I was just out blog stalking instead of doing homework and I ran across your blog. I found this entry and laughed. We share several similarities. I love cardigans, jeans, and I own the same moccasins (and they too are one of the best shoe purchases I ever made). My name is Emily too. I think Cardigans and Emily's go together like summer time and the beach. I like plaid too but my favorite thing to wear under my cardigans are those $8 tees from target. Just thought I'll share and tell you that I think you're precious.