Monday, November 22, 2010

Pumpkin Scones

My mother and I tend to go all out when it comes to baking with pumpkin. We love the stuff. Apart from the traditional pumpkin pie, bread and muffin, we dive further into the realm of baked-good bliss with pumpkin pancakes, waffles, cookies, and our recent favorite: scones. Maple glazed pumpkin scones, to be exact! Oh my, they are delicious! Enjoyed with a cup of coffee or tea, they make for a perfect little breakfast or dessert. Would you like to try them? Here's the recipe!

Photobucket


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter (cut into very small pieces)
  • 1/4 cup nuts (optional)
  • 1/3 cup half & half
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Photobucket

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).

  2. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. Add butter to flour mixture and mix with hands. In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, half & half, and vanilla; mix well and then add to the flour mixture. Stir, but do not over-mix.

  3. On counter or table, lay out a sheet of wax paper sprinkled with flour. Take the scone dough and form a 8'' round 1.5'' thick disc, making sure there is flour on both sides so it does not stick. Cut into 8 pie-like slices.

  4. Carefully places scones on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 13 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for an additional 13 minutes.

Maple glaze:

Mix 1 cup of confectioners (powdered) sugar with pure maple syrup until it reaches a consistency that will allow you to drizzle over the scones (best done with a spoon). Note: scones must be cooled prior to being topped with maple glaze.

Photobucket

Recipe adapted from several sources.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious :)
I've never had pumpkin desert (only soups etc.) so I think I should try your recepie before Casablanca is on TCM next :D

Louise said...

Oh my gosh, these look so amazing. Thank you for the recipe-- bookmarking this!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

They look just amazing! I love pumpkin things. Do you know that the UK inexcusably does NOT HAVE pumpkin spice lattes? I remembered this from before but thought they would have gotten their act together in the intervening years. But no.

P.S. I'm going to go back to H&M and see if any chickadee prints made it to the sales rack. Wishful thinking I bet though. Oh well.

Raquel said...

This scone looks so tasty! It would seem that we'd have many pumpkin food and traditions here in Portugal since we have a lot of Pumpkins, but no actually. Which is a shame because every time you refer to a recipe or food with pumpkin on it you make it sound so tasty! I must try these anyway :) thanks for sharing!

Oh and about my knee problems, thank you so much for your tips! I actually tried to search for the same product here but the pharmacy didn't have it, or any other similar. So I need to keep searching because it's getting worse due to me wearing the wrong shoes all the time. I really need to get new shoes, but that will only be possible after starting the job in January! Maybe I'll get some for Christmas anyway haha!

muchlove said...

yummm!!! I love pumpkin, and do not eat enough of it (we need to import some of your American pumpkins!). Those scones look absolutely delicious!

lynnette said...

OH YUMMM!!! I think the glaze probably adds a perfect touch of sweetness to the slightly salty pumpkin taste... I wonder whether I'd be able to find pumpkin in the grocery stores in Singapore... ;p SIGH.

Erin Cathleen said...

Oh my goodness, these look epic! I'm drooling just looking at these. Whoa. o_O

Lexie said...

YUMMMMM! molly and i made apple cheddar scones last week! they are so good!

Gabbi said...

Fan of both scones and almost anything pumpkin related! Will definitely try to make...