Tuesday, November 2, 2010

On the forest's edge

Here it is November already. Can you believe it?! The world outside has started to turn bleak as is custom for the 11th month. The colors of autumn cling stubbornly to the trees and rattle in the wind. Intermittent snow flakes have been flying for a little over a week now. And here I am dressed to match my surroundings. While this isn't exactly the safest thing to be doing this time of year (what with hunting season creeping up and all), what can I say? I like brown. And other earthy colors. Dark green, anyone?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Sweatshirt: J. Crew, Leaf pin: Gap, Dress: vintage, Belt: thrifted
Sweater tights: TJ Maxx, Boots: L.L. Bean

Back in the early spring (March or April, I think), I snatched up three of the most perfect vintage dresses in one shopping trip at my favorite thrift store. The first was a sweet brown gingham, the second a lovely green & pink floral, and the third, pictured here, a deep green topped with orange and cranberry floral medallions. Oh so perfect for autumn! Can I just gush a little bit over how truly wonderful this dress is? Okay, thanks. The fabric weight is nice and sturdy making it perfectly suited for the colder months. Next up, the length: not too short, not too long, but just right! The full skirt (always fun for twirling) features one pocket. Score! One dress pocket is better than none. Lastly, but definitely not least, comfortable sleeves and a Peter Pan collar. Pretty autumn dress, you're my favorite!

Alright, I think all of that is out of my system now ;)

13 comments:

chelsea said...

You look lovely in that lovely dress that is oh so lovely! I am digging your boots too.
I have recently come to terms with the fact that I dislike myself in brown. I love the idea, I love it on other people, but cannot stand it on myself. Who knows why? Guess I'm just too in love with my blacks and whites. And reds, of course.

Anonymous said...

Love the dress and your boots are most excellent too!

C.Elizabeth said...

That dress is amazing! It's so autumn-like and goes so well with the rest of your outfit!
I just love Peter Pan collar too! I've seen quite a few dresses at Zara...

I am just like you, I like cinnamon on more or less everything!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Such a lovely dress and a perfect shade of green for you. You look like a creature of the forest, of the fairy variety, not an animal, obviously!

Blair said...

That is possibly the most perfect dress I have ever seen!!

Lexie said...

i think if i saw this dress myself in a thrift shop i would think of you immediately!

Erin Cathleen said...

I am gushing over the cuteness of your vintage dress, too! You have the best luck in thrift stores. Seriously. Love your L.L. Bean boots, too! You may be in New York, but you are sooo New England. ^_^ Miss you bunches, friend!

Tabitha said...

LOVE your dress and the boots are amazing!!! I've been looking for a pair just like those.

Raquel said...

dark green indeed! I have a beret, a turtleneck and also stole a grandpa style cardigan from my sister to wear while I'm here as well hehe! it is the perfect winter colour and it also looks so nice on you! you look stunning in these pictures, my favourite is the first one though ;)

ps: the hoodie makes the outfit a lot edgy and cool! love it!

Unknown said...

You look so stunning in this set of pictures, Emily. More so than usual :) Did you do something new to your hair? I love the outfit. So chic.

Arielle. said...

Hi there, your blog is beautiful. I will be back!
www.wearandwhen.blogspot.com

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

beautiful colours x hivennn. Enter my giveaway? Six whole miss patina dresses to giveaway, ending tonight.

lynnette said...

Haha oh Emily! :D I can totally identify with the feeling of exhilaration when something you've just bought is simply fantastic in so many ways and there's just that feeling of happiness inside that you want to share with others...!! :) That dress is so perfect for Autumn! You always manage to get really awesome thrift finds!